Search This Blog

Saturday 30 July 2011

California Pasta Salad

A hot summer day, a jardin, a cookbook and a fancy pack of pasta was all I needed to make a delicious California Pasta Salad tonight.

I picked up this pasta from Stong's (read the story at Discovering Kerrisdale & Dunbar). The brand, Rio Murgia, is an Italian one that I have not seen before. Deciphering what is on the package, it seems to be some sort of spinach home made pasta with a shape that looks like an olive tree leaf.

It was special enough to warrant something different than pasta and sauce.

I picked up one of my cookbooks that I have not used before - The Cuisine of California and found a Country Garden Pasta Salad recipe (page 118) that was ideal.

Walking out into my own country garden, jardin, I picked up whatever was at hand which today included carrots, celery and peas.

The rest was easy. You boil the pasta and let it cool. You then boil the vegetables for 3 minutes only and let those cool.

You then prepare a dressing of mustard, olive oil, lemon, garlic, vinegar and pepper.

The last bit is lots of parmesan cheese with jardin chives, basil and thyme.

You mix everything together and let it rest in the fridge for at least an hour.



You then take it out to le jardin and enjoy it on a hot summer evening along with olive-oil garlic bread.

What a beautiful summer this is!

No comments: