Search This Blog

Sunday 31 July 2011

Chard Sunday

Last Sunday was Cabbage Sunday and today is Chard Sunday.

I woke up early with a strong craving for Lebanese-style stuffed chard meal lead me to the jardin to pick up all the large leaves of chard around.

But hang on a second, I have never made this before nor I have the recipe for it anywhere. 

Time zones in my favour, I managed to reach my mom before she went to sleep and had her dictate the recipe on an international phone call.

It's Sunday and I am feeling charitable, so I am going to share this recipe with all.

First you prepare "hashweh" (the stuffing). It comprises of rice, chopped fresh parsley and fresh mint, very thinly chopped onions and tomatoes, cooked (or canned) chickpeas split in the middle (yes, every one of them), salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil.

Cut the stems off the leaves (but keep aside). Dip the chard leaves in boiling water for an instant (just quick in and out) and let cool.

Spread each leaf horizontally, fill in with a row of "hashweh", don't over fill them. Start rolling from left and right side, then horizontally along the stem. 

In a pot, arrange one layer of sliced potatoes, one layer of chard stems (uncooked) and then the chard rolls.

Cover with 1/3 lemon juice, 2/3 water until rolls are covered.

Sprinkle with olive oil and salt. Bring to boil, then simmer until rice is cooked and almost all the liquid is absorbed.

Once cooked, let it cool in the pot until you can handle it by hand. Remove the chard rolls, the potatoes and the stems and let them cool further. These are best eaten at room temperature.

Along with the meal, we typically eat a special "Tahini". This is simply the "Tahini Sauce" you use to make Humus, mixed with lemon juice, salt and water until it is a creamy texture.

Add to this a bit of crushed garlic and chopped boiled chard stems and enjoy with the chard rolls.

But wait, the meal is not complete yet...

What goes best with chard rolls and "Tahini" are radishes. Well, some are still growing in le jardin, so I plucked those and cleaned them up. Now I can enjoy a delicious freshly made complete chard rolls meal.

Anyone up to the challenge of making those and inviting me over? I'll bring the (Lebanese) wine.

No comments: