Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 September 2011

Baked Rattlesnakes

You met my rattlesnakes last month (at Rattlesnakes-Yum). Between the sun and the rain storms tonight, I managed to rescue what is left of them and use them for dinner; thus the story of baked rattlesnakes.

First, I shelled out the beans (look how beautiful they look) and boiled them (they cooked fast).

Given the exotic nature of the beans, I wanted to bake them in an exotic way, but no exotic recipe was to be found.

I took matters in my own hands creating my own recipe - Onions and Piperade (last time I used piperade, someone commented "you just like saying piperade, don't you?" - see Summer Big Salads). 

I fried the onions and piperade, mixed with the beans and a bit of the beans' boiling liquid. 

For kicks, I added 1 Tbsp maple syrup and baked all for 1 hour in a 375 oven.

It turned out really nice. The rattlesnakes had a rattling distinctive flavour. Glad I saved some beans for next year's crop.

 

1 comment:

~T.E.~ said...

before I read that you ended up putting in maple syrup (good call!) I thought you were going to say you added cumin and garlic...but the maple syrup sounds so much more than Francais-Canadien baked beans and those are yummy!