Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 February 2012

The Cross & The Pig

A snowy morning; a 9:00 am meeting that cannot be missed; 35 minute taxi wait; but glad I made it.

After the meeting, I talked a dear client and friend for a shopping and dining break in Yaletown.

Waiting for the restaurants to open, we visited The Cross.

As soon as we walked in, we were arrested by those beautiful bowls. Well, they are not really bowls - they are the cutest, somerville kitchen-matching measuring cups. We each walked out with a set.




The Cross
1198 Homer Street
Vancouver, BC


The next stop was lunch at:

The Flying Pig
1168 Hamilton
Vancouver, BC

The Flying Pig on Urbanspoon

I have never heard of this restaurant before. Once there, I assumed this is yet another overly priced, small portions-plates Yaletown restaurant.



But I was pleasantly surprised, let alone fully stuffed that I skipped dinner.

I opted for one of the lunch specials - pasta tubes with ragu sauce. Thick, meaty and tasty is the only way I can describe this sauce.

I ate and ate and still more to go. But I simply could not put my fork down until this very full and filling plate was devoured.

They also have a series of irresistible sides out of which we chose the Crispy Brussels Sprouts (with lemon and capers) and the Whole Roasted Mushrooms with herbs.



Delicious lunch. And so glad we resisted the wine since the rest of the day was jam packed with back-to-back meetings.


But it was all worth it to come home with a full stomach and the beautiful new kitchen gadgets.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great day mixing business with pleasure! ;-) Any place that can make brussel sprouts look delicious, like this place does, gets my vote!

Echo.